Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Friday, May 22, 2009

Blowdown


photo label

In 1999, a devastating wind storm blew through the Superior National Forest. It flattened trees like a box of wooden matches thrown on the floor. This picture shows what some of the area looked like in 2003. It will take years for the forest to come back, and the fire danger has been so high that the question never was "will it burn?" But "when will it burn?"

There have been some controlled fires since then, and a couple of natural ones. In the spring of 2007 the Hamm Lake Fire burned across the trail. By now we will have seen the changes that wrought. I don't really know what to expect- a moonscape or a lot of fresh new green things. We do know that it makes the trail very hard to follow. We have GPS!

See The Blog Plan for the Arrowhead Hike

1 comment:

LyghteKeeper said...

Hey Joan and Friends = just letting you know that I'm faithfully following you every day and using all this extra time I have to pray for you guys. I even try to check the weather so I know a little better what you're experiencing. Doesn't look like I'll ever get to hike with you Joan but I so appreciate your great descriptions so I feel like I am right there with you - without the bug bites. love ya, Kath