Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Sporangium- Red and Green


red moss

I hate to confess it, but I don't know diddly-squat about mosses. One of these days... but it's going to mean another new vocabulary. How about just one new word, and pretty colors? Mosses reproduce by spores (like yeast), and the spores are released from the structures called sporangia. Those are the little containers at the ends of the stalks you see growing up from mosses.

red moss

I like this one a lot. It brightens up the bare spots out back- in full sun.
green moss

This patch is growing in the woods, in more shade.
green moss

I love how bright it was with the afternoon light on it.
red mossgreenmoss

If you compare them side by side, you can see how totally different the sporangia are. And that's all I know about these mosses!


See Log Terrarium with Moss
See Winter Rainbow I


6 comments:

Ryan said...

Hi, you asked me earlier how I found your blog. I actually found you through entrecard.

Ann said...

well you know more about moss than I do. I always loved the way it looked though

Lin said...

I think those shoots are the moss's way of reproducing--well,that's what I read somewhere. So, if I'm right, you've got x-rated moss photos here, Sharky.

Rick (Ratty) said...

I probably know even less than you about moss, but I'm becoming very interested. I've taken moss pictures, but I can't begin to know what I have. Any little information helps for me.

Sharkbytes said...

Hi Lion- Well, that is good to know. With so much controversy about all their shenanigans, it's nice to have some good news.

Ann- not any more... you just learned most of what I know!

Lin- Of course! Studying plants is largely about S-E-X

Ratty- I keep thinking I'll learn more, but I seem to gravitate to other things.

Duxbury Ramblers said...

I am with you Sharkie, I want to learn more but as I get older I off coarse have less time so I keep picking up bits here and there.
Great for our local quizzes.