Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Friday, April 23, 2010

More Flowers in The Cemetery Ravine


Oh, you thought I was going to tell you about those dandelions! It's a two-day project. Here's a hint, which will eliminate a few of the guesses. The answer tomorrow, I promise.

dandelions steeping

Meanwhile, I'm enjoying the wildflowers in the cemetery ravine. It's a really neat place, mostly in the early spring. It's where the Woodsia ferns are, and the Dutchman's breeches. There have only been a few bloodroot, or so I thought...
bloodroot leaves

Yesterday, I scooted down one of the steep banks (I don't like to do this, because it can quickly erode the steep, loose hillsides) and right ahead of me on the opposite bank, I saw these leaves- all bloodroot. The leaves open wide like that after the flowers are done blooming, so I'll have to look there next year.
cutleaf toothwort

This is another early spring cutie, cutleaf toothwort, Dentaria laciniata. There are always a lot of leaves, but not very many blooms, so I was really happy to find a few this year.

There are some more treats there too. I'll save those for another day.


See Rusty Woodsia?
See Dutchman's Breeches


6 comments:

Duxbury Ramblers said...

the toothwort is beautiful we don't get that over here - the plant we call toothwort is Lathraea squamaria it is a parasitic and we usually find at at the base of trees.
Now those dandelion heads in what looks like a jam pan, are you making dandelion jam if you are that's a new one to me, but I will try anything once.

RNSANE said...

You are so busy these days, Shark! Scampering up and down banks, collecting leaves, cooking things. You have amazing energy!

Rick (Ratty) said...

I'll try to remember these leaves. Maybe I'll be able to recognize them when I see them. Little by little all of this will stick.

spinninglovelydays said...

Are you making tea? I love making tea from plants people dismiss as weeds. I notice many homeschool and nature bloggers making tea (nettle seems to be popular) nowadays. Is it a seasonal thing?

Lin said...

What are you cooking??? I hate waiting to find out, Sharky.

Sharkbytes said...

Carol- interesting that your toothwort is so different. You certainly could cook it to jelly stage, but I'm not sure if that would be too intense.

Carmen- not sure about the energy, but I sure am busy!

Ann- I really like learning to tell the plants at any stage in their growth. I'll never live long enough to get 'em all though!

Ratty- little by little is the only way. It's too overwhelming in one big pile!

Ivy- It is very seasonal! The leaves of most plants get bitter or tough, or whatever after the plant blooms. So they will be much better early.

Lin- It's all revealed now!