Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Monday, June 14, 2010

Ferns & More- June 5

 
hiker in ferns

The rain ended before morning on the 5th, so that led us to believe we might be dry, but in no time at all we were in bracken fern that held buckets of water that wiped off onto our clothes. Pretty soon the ferns were higher than my waist, and some were over my head! So much for being dry.

trout lily stems

Here was the mystery for the day. Marie wanted to know what these funny "spaghetti plants" were. At first I thought they must be sprouts of baby maples or something. But a quick tug revealed them to be a wilting stem with a heavy three-cornered leaf.

trout lily stems

Turned out that they were trout lily, Ertythronium americncanum". The weight of the seed carries the seed case to the forest floor where new litter covers it.

cinnamon fern

Here's some lovely cinnamon fern.

pond

We ended the day under cloudy, but dry, skies at this lovely, un-named pond.




8 comments:

RNSANE said...

What a lovely setting with all those ferns. I am sorry you had to get wet in your adventures!

Duxbury Ramblers said...

Now that is a wonderful little plant, trout lily I will be googling later :)

Secondary Roads said...

I don't believe that I've ever seen a fern that grew so tall.

Ann said...

Those are some tall ferns but they look so pretty. I never heard of trout lily before, interesting

spinninglovelydays said...

As usual, I learned a lot. :) Is it summer there yet? It doesn't look very sunny, lol.

The Oceanside Animals said...

Holy cow! Now it was right after this that the velociraptors attacked, right?

Nishant said...

trout lily I will be googling later
Banner Advertising Network India

musicm said...

Hi,

Once again excellent pictures.. Thanks a bunch!