Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Thursday, July 1, 2010

Jordan River, Day 2 - June 16, cont


wood snail

Here we are on the second half of June 16. Is it ok with you if we move at the speed of this lovely wood snail? I think snails and slugs are just fascinating-- the way they can change their body shape and "ooze" from one place to another.

ebony spleenwort

The botanical finds of the day just kept appearing. This fern is ebony spleenwort Asplenium platyneuron, which usually grows in rocky places. We found it in sand... like most everything in northern Michigan, Note the dark stems and erect fronds. I've seen this one in the Upper Peninsula (UP), but never in the Lower (LP) before.

purple avens seeds

Here's another shot enhanced by the water droplets on everything. The picture is mostly the seeds of purple avens, Geum rivule. The flowers aren't too spectacular (there are three in the picture), but the seed pods are like puffs of fine feathers. With the water on the horsetail in the background I think the whole thing looks like a display of fireworks... just in time for July 4th too!

pink pyrola

And just when I thought it couldn't get any better, we began finding another plant that I'd never seen before. This is a sister to the shinleaf that I showed in bud on June 25. (And I'll have pictures of that in bloom in a few days). This plant is pink pyrola Pyrola asarifolia. The flowers vary from pink to crimson! Wouldn't it be something to see the crimson ones? For now, I'm very happy with the pink blooms. You can't see the leaves in this picture. For the few of you who care about this stuff, they are not elongated like the shinleaf, but are round, almost heart shaped.

wetland

Lest you forget that we were moving through a landscape, here is one view of a rather bleak, but beautiful wetland we crossed on several bridges near the end of the day. The next lake after this was a beaver pond. The bridge led... um... right into the water, and then the beavers had built up a very long dam right over the top of it. We were so wet by then that we just sloshed across (of course being careful to make sure the footing was secure).

Stop back tomorrow and see if we got to stay dry.


See Shinleaf


12 comments:

Ken Brown said...

@Sharkbytes - This looks like another terrific adventure.

My wife, Mary and I will be in Traverse City, MI in late August. Can you recommend any hikes for that area. It looked like the Jordan River may be within a short drive from Traverse City.

I promised Mary it wouldn't be all hiking. Probably just a day or two. We usually do day hikes of 3 to 6 miles with generous helpings of ice cream when we are done. :)

The rest of the time we will be relaxing or sightseeing. We have never been in that section of Michigan before and we are really looking forward to seeing this wonderful area.

Sharkbytes said...

Ken- Wow, Traverse City is only 90 miles from me. I'll think about possibilities in the length you are looking for. Unfortunately, I'm not going to personally know some of the short gems in that area, but I have friends who might. The Jordan River Valley is another hour north of there, and at the length you need, you'd have to do an in and out hike.

I'll email you.

Sharkbytes said...

Oh, Ken... you have to see Sleeping Bear Dunes! There are various short trails there too, but you have to climb the main dune... a very short hike, but strenuous for sure!

Chubskulit Rose said...

I love that snail shot! You remind me of the Korean Lady that we met when my husband was staioned there, she is very adventurous like you. She's always present whenever we go for a hike.

Lin said...

I love snails and slugs too! I love how their antennae just sort of magically disappear into their heads and reappear. Nice photos!!

Secondary Roads said...

I promise to come back and see if you were able to dry out. The hike is enjoyable.

Duxbury Ramblers said...

We don't have the ebony spleenwort but we do have Geum rivale we call it water avens here.
Hope you have dried out.

Jen said...

I love snails, slugs not so much, but snails are fascinating creatures and I could watch them all day.

Sharkbytes said...

Hi chubskulit- Glad to hear about another adventurous woman! Thanks for stopping by.

Lin- I just knew you would like the little slimers!

Chuck- Other than being wet so much, it was very enjoyable!

Carol- Yup, water avens is an alternate name

Jen- You and many of my friends feel the same way. I don't really understand, since a slug is pretty much a snail with no shell.

Rick (Ratty) said...

The snail picture is excellent. I don't think I've ever seen a shell with a live snail in it.

Ann said...

Cool shot of the snail. That last picture reminds me of a spot not too far from where I live. A friend of mine goes there all the time since she's spotted eagles in the area.

Sharkbytes said...

Ratty- I love to find live snails, but I don't find them too often either. They are definitely on my "cute" list!

Ann- We didn't see an eagle, but it sure would be a place they would like. We saw and heard quite a few hawks.