Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Thursday, July 8, 2010

The Last Day - June 24


NCT Midland-Mackinac Trail junction

Just five measly miles, and there we were in Mackinaw City! We learned that there is a nice marker at a trail junction. The North Country Trail comes up the west side of the state, but there is another hiking trail that comes up the east side. It is the Midland to Mackinac (say MACK-in-aw anyway) Trail, and was built by Boy Scouts.

Indian Park Mackinaw City

From this junction, you need to walk just a couple of blocks farther north until you reach the approach to the Mackinac Bridge. This is a nice walk through a linear park beside Nicolet Street.

hikers near Mackinac Bridge

You've seen this picture already, but it's going to be one of those iconic images... the end of the last big hike. I've hiked the bridge twice (you can only walk it on Labor Day), so that is done, and it's a great place to finish off this section. But I seem to still be in shock, unable to process this near-conclusion.

July tasks are piling up, and I've got some big ones to pull off before the big August 3 celebration shindig. The humidity and I are not friends. I've been writing some articles to bring in some income, and that whole issue will need to be seriously addressed this fall.

Tomorrow, we'll all be back home. I'm already here, of course, but I'll bring you with me and show you a couple of things I've been doing. It's completely bizarre to wait a month to hike the final three miles, but it will allow several people to celebrate with me who would otherwise not get to come.

And I have a few more pictures from the hikes. (Hint- Carol will like them a lot.) Thanks for traveling with me!



12 comments:

Loretta said...

Would love to walk across the bridge sometime. Glad you are able to wait until August (not that far away!) to walk the final three and I am honored to be able to join you for the walk and celebration!

Rick (Ratty) said...

Walking across that bridge would be fun. That's the kind of thing I've never done.

Ann said...

That month will be up before you know it and you'll be doing those final 3 miles. It's been a pleasure traveling along with you

Duxbury Ramblers said...

I am looking forward to seeing more of those photos from the hike, we are also looking forward to cheering when you do those 3 miles.

Secondary Roads said...

You are most welcome. Thanks for inviting me along. It was enjoyable to follow your adventure.

Love the pic with Big Mac in the back.

samh said...

I'm excited for you, Joan!

betchai said...

almost there Sharbytes, glad to know you are so near the celebration and you are so thoughtful to wait for others to celebrate with you.

Beng-Gee said...

Hi! My first time here. Had a nice time reading your interesting post! Beautiful shots too. Will sure come back for more! Have a nice day!

Lin said...

That must be really frustrating to not just walk those last 3 miles already! Ugh. Can you do them and then pretend for the event??? ;)

VanillaSeven said...

Hiking is fun! Looks like you both enjoyed it!

Sharkbytes said...

Loretta- I'm so looking forward to seeing you!

Ratty- you can do it any Labor Day. It's just not a very private experience.

Ann- I'm afraid it WILL go very fast. I have a ton of stuff to do.

Carol- I think you'll like tomorrow's yellow mystery.

Chuck- That's what I called the bridge chapter in my book- "Big Mac, Michigan Style"

Sam- I appreciate your interest- you've kept coming back even though you've moved far from the trail.

Hi Betchai- Well, I'm only a little bit thoughtful. It's good publicity for the trail too.

Hi Beng-Gee- welcome! I'm glad to have you stop by.

Lin- Yes, I could have done them and pretended, but it didn't seem right.

Vanilla- Yes, hiking is incredible fun. Thanks for coming by.

RNSANE said...

Congratulations, Shark, I've loved hiking with you from the comfort of my home. The pictures have been fabulous. You deserve such accolades for this great adventure and I'm sure you treasure this time with your friend.