Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Maggie's Turn- A Trip to the Vet


dog tail

Hi everyone, Maggie here. Mom told me we were going somewhere this morning. I thought at first that would be a good thing, but then I found out she was taking me to the VET. I said, "I'm outta here."

I thought I had it made when she found that the car had a really low tire. But she pumped that up- bummer. Then she caught me and off to the vet we went. Oh... it was awful.

Well, first I had to get on the scale. I don't mind that so much, and I am not overweight. I wish mom would sneak me more treats, but she says it's bad for my hip if I weigh more than 50 pounds. I was at 49. Horray!

dog bandageNext, Dr. Paul drew blood, BLOOD, out of my leg. You know I HATE to have my paws touched, and he had trouble getting the blood to come into the syringe, and the lady had to hold me extra tight, and mom held my jaws because maybe I couldn't control my feelings about the paws. Oh, I didn't like that. But I got a nice blue bandage to wear home.

The reason Dr. Paul needed my blood was to look for nasty things called worms that might be in my heart. I don't understand why he looked in my arm for things in my heart, but I guess that's why he's a doctor. He said that I don't have any of those worms.

fatty lipoma on dog

He wasn't very happy about how big my fatty li-po-mas have gotten. I know, you haven't seen those before. I didn't really want to show you, but they have gotten awfully big. They aren't bothering me really, but they are ugly, and... BIG. The problem is that it would cost way too much to take them off. And of course, I'd have to go back to the vet for that. I don't think I want to know how he would take them off. Yes, I have two. Here's the other one.

fatty lipoma on dog

He gave me a shot, and I had to be held tight for that. I growled a little. I just couldn't help it. Then he gave me ANOTHER shot. For cryin' out loud... this is just not fun. And then he messed with my mouth! Yuck. And he said I have a bad tooth.

dog teeth

smiling dogWhew, I survived. See, we made it home, and I am smiling now. It's all over. Mom cried a little, and I'll tell you why. She tried to hide it, but I saw her.

The vet told her last week that he couldn't sell her any more of the yummy pills I get every month to make it so I don't get those worms in my heart. He couldn't do it without that blood test. But mom said that she didn't have the money, and so I'd have to just take my chances.

But yesterday, Dr. Paul called and said he'd do the test for free. That's why we went to his office. When we got there the lady sounded pretty stern and told mom that I needed distemper and rabies vaccines too. Mom looked sad, and said she didn't have enough money and I'd just have to wait. But that Dr. Paul just gave me the shots anyway and all mom paid for was the pills. I don't know why that made her get drippy, but she didn't seem sad.

P.S. On the way home we left the car at the tire place and walked home before the day got too hot. She told me later that Greg the tire guy said there was a nail in it. Not one of my nails. At least my nails are ok. I know... I keep them nicely chewed.

Maggie

15 comments:

Julia said...

Oh I feel very bad about now for both of you. But I am very glad you got your shots in the end! Hopefully not the hind end like some humans must.

Karen and Gerard said...

What an awful time you had at the vet. That was very nice of Dr. Paul to give the necessary vaccines even though your mom couldn't afford them. He must really like doggies! Glad to here you do not have worms!

Unknown said...

Maggie, you poor soul. I hope your mom is spoiling you now to make up for all that. And what a lovely, kind vet you have. You certainly shouldn't hesitate about going to see him again.

vanilla said...

Oh, Maggie, you show your love for the trip to the vet exactly as my Cookie does. I try to walk to the vet with him, but when we get about halfway there, he turns and runs for home.

Secondary Roads said...

That was quite an adventure Maggie. People some times get a little leaky at times like that. You just have to be kind and patient, which should be the natural thing for you to do.

Lynne said...

What a traumatic start to the day! Glad it's over and you're back home!

betchai said...

sorry to hear about your ordeal Maggie, but at least now, your mom will have a peace of mind that you will be alright. you are so lucky to have a caring mom and also a kind vet to see you.

VanillaSeven said...

Good to hear that everything went well. The doctor is a good fellow

tmarsik said...

God Bless Dr. Paul!

spinninglovelydays said...

What a nice vet you have, Maggie! Stay healthy now. Btw, shots tend to depress me too. :)

Sharkbytes said...

Julia- poor Maggie had blood pulled from a front leg, a shot in the shoulder, and one in the butt. Total humiliation.

Karen- Maggie says that she's not sure she wants to see Dr. Paul again very soon, but that mom is pretty happy.

Jean- Mom gave me an extra cookie when we got home. Mags.

vanilla- welcome! Cookie is a smart cookie. Mags.

Chuck- I am very patient. Except when it's dinner time. Mags.

Lynne- I took an extra-long nap. Mags.

Betchai- I'm pretty sure mom loves me, but I'm still not sure about that vet. Mags.

VS- Yes, he is indeed!

TM- Yup, I was really surprised. It all came out of the blue. I actually usually see Dr. Jim at the clinic. How is Bailey?

Ivy- A lady who understands. I'm happy again today. Mags.

The Oceanside Animals said...

hello maggie its dennis the vizsla dog hay i am sorry abowt yore poking and prodding and stikking and wotnot vets just luv to do that sort of thing i dont no why they dont just stik pins in dolls and leev us alone!!! ok bye

Sharkbytes said...

Dennis- that is a great idea. I'll get mom to bring me a doll for Dr. Paul. Mags

Lin said...

Maggie--Those dog doctors can be very expensive! I'm like your mommeh, I get a bit weepy when somebody has to go the vet because of the worry and the cost. All that bloodwork and medicine is VERY expensive and we don't always have the budget for that.

Give your mommeh a big hug for taking you--she doesn't want you to have a blue bandage anymore than you do.

Oh, you have a very nice doctor!

Sharkbytes said...

Lin- I was extra nice to mom today! I know she loves me, and I'm glad she's staying home more now that she's almost done with that big hike.