Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Monday, July 26, 2010

Meet Bess


two hikers by tree stump

Bess is on the left and Marie on the right. I know I haven't really introduced Marie, but you've seen her in lots of hiking pics. I should probably give her a complete entry. But today we'll do Bess. Her full name is Elizabeth Arden. Really, I'm not pulling your leg. The famous Elizabeth Arden was a cosmetics magnate, but ours goes by Bess, and she's famous enough in our small circle.

She joined us in 2000 on a hike of 106 miles in western NY. She is a long-time friend of Marie's. Marie worked with kids with disabilities most of her career, and met Bess, who works with people with low vision issues. I think she helps them find resources for work and independent living opportunities.

Bess was at a point in her life where she wanted to take on a physical adventure that was a significant challenge, and she wanted to do so with other women. Somehow, Marie and I qualified (grin).

That hike was one of the most difficult of any along the NCT with a never-ending series of tall hills with trail that just went straight up and down again. This section is part of the Finger Lakes Trail and their nickname for it is "The Western Wall." We hiked in early July and it was hotter than any of us would have liked. Despite the challenges, Bess never complained.

ad for North Country CacheIncluded here is an excerpt from my book, North Country Cache, which includes Bess:

" Bess has been our early riser. Often she is outside doing exercises before even Marie is awake. She stretches and bends 'to get the tension out.' It's fine if it works for her, but if someone tried to force me out of a warm sleeping bag to exercise with the birds I'd be too tense to spend the day with.!

She has also turned out to be a companion with a great sense of humor. She adopted a stick with a Kokopelli silhouette and named him George. hiker holding odd stickGeorge traveled with us for several days until he lost a leg. Knowing that this would make it difficult for him to hike (not to mention making it difficult to distinguish him from the other sticks in the forest), we sadly bid him adieu and gave him a proper hiker's burial."


From chapter 53, "May the Road Rise to Meet You."

I will get a post up every day this week, but may have to back off on commenting on your blogs as much I would like. I have to get this media finished, and there is way too much to do yet. That's a deadline that can't be fudged.

One piece of sad news. Although you haven't met her, I have another good friend named Betty. Her husband was diagnosed with cancer last fall and I found out today that they called in Hospice on Thursday. She and the family have been totally focused on his care for the past 9 months. She said in an email, "Sam's time to grow wings is coming very close." I feel so bad for her. They are not much older than I am, and were high school sweethearts. I've rarely encountered a couple that were so much in love after 50 years of marriage. If you are one who believes in prayer, just say a quick one for Betty tonight, please.



8 comments:

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

Thanks for sharing BEss with us. And I look forward to meeting Marie!

Auntie E said...

Oh I am like Bess, early riser. It drives my family crazy, when we are on Vacations.I always want to get going early. Just like my Mother was.
So sorry about your friend Betty. My parent, also high school sweetheart and married for 57 years, were so in love til the end. The death of my Mother has been very hard on my Dad. I will say a prayer for Betty's family.

Ann said...

Bess sounds like a great person, thanks for sharing her with us.
I'm so sorry to hear about your other friends husband. will send prayers his way

spinninglovelydays said...

Glad to meet a totally different Elizabeth Arden. :) Bess sounds like a wonderful person with a fascinating job. It's nice that she found such great company for her physical adventure/challenge.
I'll be praying for your friend Betty and her family.

BeadedTail said...

Bess sounds like a fun person to hike with! Thanks for introducing her!

Sorry to hear about your friend Betty's husband. I'll be sending prayers her way.

Sharkbytes said...

Thank you all for your prayers... Sam died tonight.

Hi Rose- I promise, I will give Marie her own entry soon enough.

Auntie E- You early people just amaze me. I'm so in a fog for at least an hour after I get up.

Ann- Bess is going to come for the Aug 3 event. I haven't seen her since the hike, so it will be great fun.

Ivy- People who work with those with disabilities just amaze me!

Beaded Tail- she was one of our most humorous fellow hikers!

RNSANE said...

Shark, Bess sounds as lovely as all the good folks to whom we've been introduced by you. I am sorry to hear about your friend's husband. I know life will be hard for her after fifty years of love in a marriage such as hers. They were very lucky to have achieved this kind of relationship, weren't they?

Take care of yourself, Shark, you are such a good friend to so many.

Sharkbytes said...

Carmen- Introducing my hiking friends is turning out to be a very interesting. I am so pleased that you blog friends find them interesting!