Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Friday, July 9, 2010

"Thirty-eight" - A Winning Story

 
pencil cup and paperThe results were announced last night for the May contest at Accentuate Writers, with a theme of Sorrow.

The levels of prizes have changed a bit from earlier contests. Now they are giving one first prize, and five additional prizes with no other ranking.

I submitted a story entitled "Thirty-Eight," about a young man who is in the early stages of grief at losing his wife in a car accident. My story was selected as one of the secondary winners! There were 47 entries. This means that when the book Expressions of Pain comes out that I'll receive a contract and royalties.

Admittedly, these are small beginnings, but I'm really appreciative of the opportunities I've found at Accentuate Writers. I've been spurred into doing some creative writing again. Here's the list of what I've won, and the expected publication dates.

First Love Theme, Nov 2009- "Invisible" took 3rd place, will be in the book Elements of Love scheduled to be released November 2010. This story highlights the dilemma faced by a single mother who gives up her child. She knows who he his, but he never knows that she is his mother.

Engagement Theme, Jan 2010 - "The Case of the Cautious Couple" took 1st place, will also be in Elements of Love, scheduled to be released November 2010. This is a spoof of the classic Perry Mason mysteries.

Wedding Theme, Feb 2010 - "On Time for the Wedding" will not be in a print book, but qualified for a digital download which should be for sale soon at Accentuate Services. Set in the late 19th century, a young man is riding hard to make it to the church, but will he be there in time to meet his true love?

Anger Theme, April 2010 - "Toby and Harry" will not be in a print book, but qualified for a digital download which should be for sale soon at Accentuate Services. Toby is an angry toddler whose constant bad temper may cause more problems than his young mind can contemplate.

Anger Theme, April 2010 - the poem "Digital Lament" will be in the book Expressions of Pain, scheduled to be released in 2011.

Sorrow Theme, May 2010 - "Thirty-eight" as described above will be in the book Expressions of Pain, scheduled to be released in 2011.

On this blog, folks, I just sort of "talk" to you. It's a great outlet for me to just be friendly and share things that I find interesting. It's also important for me to write some in a more structured manner. Of course, I need to keep working on the essays for the sequel to North Country Cache, which will be called North Country Quest.

Also, this month I'm putting together an all-new media program about my adventures on the North Country Trail. The first showing will be August 3 or 4th in Petoskey, MI.

Hoping that you'll celebrate these victories with me as much as the hiking!



11 comments:

Lexxia said...

Congratulations Sharkey!!! This is fabulous and I am so pleased that you are able to add these to your many accomplishments. I have no doubt there will be many more! All the best with your future writing & hiking ventures. You're definitely someone to look to for inspiration that goals set can be achieved. It just takes action. ;)

Rick (Ratty) said...

Congratulations for this latest writing award, and for all the others too. This shows what a great writer you really are; something I already knew, of course.

Ann said...

Congratulations. You obviously have a talent for writing and the awards are proof. How exciting to get to see your work published.

Secondary Roads said...

Congrats Shark! That's great. I'm very happy for you.

Glynis Peters said...

Congratulations Joan, that is wonderful news!

Marg said...

Congratulations. That is really good on all those awards. Job well done. Thanks for visiting our blog. I need to get by here more often.
Have a great week end.

betchai said...

wow, congratulations Sharkbytes, I really admire you, not only for such a great hiker and lover of nature, but also as a great writer.

BeadedTail said...

Congratulations to you! We wish you much more writing success to come!

Sharkbytes said...

Thanks so much everyone... I'm going to lump my responses to this one, because you all basically congratulated me, and it seems awfully conceited to just keep saying thank you in nine responses. It means a lot to me that you've all been so upbeat about these little awards. A number of years ago I submitted a lot of my writing to magazines, and never got anything accepted, and gave up. I'm rebuilding confidence now.

Julia said...

This is great news J! Congrats. I think all recognition is worth celebrating. :)

tmarsik said...

Excellent news, Joan! Even though those early entries didn't make it into magazines, I'm glad that you took another chance! I enjoy your writing (and not just because you're a friend).