Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Monday, January 14, 2013

Refrigerator Soup, Deluxe

 
Do you fix refrigerator soup? You know, the soup you make by cleaning out all the appropriate veggies (and maybe meat) in the fridge?

I did that today, but I "cheated" to make it a) better, and b) more of it to last longer.

soup

From the refrigerator or pantry:
part of a bunch of celery that had to be pretty carefully trimmed
1 big onion
2 potatoes
4 hairy carrots
some wrinkled mushrooms
2 cups chunky barbeque sauce from the Christmas pork chops

From the freezer:
2 small packs of asparagus, but one was TOO freezer burned and got dumped
the tag end of a bag of peas

From the discount table at the store:
2 green peppers
some green beans

On sale at the store:
3/4 pound of hamburg- the smallest package I could find

Not on sale at the store:
I splurged on one item just to make it extra yummy- a bunch of kale

Put together in the right order equals enough Refrigerator Soup to feed me for more than a week. Hooray!

See Bird's Nest and Soup
if you like this blog, click the +1   or

Like This!

7 comments:

D.G. Hudson said...

Yes, I have made something similar. I usually try to keep chicken broth or beef broth around so it's an easy start.

That's a good looking soup you've made, judging by the photo.

Secondary Roads said...

That soup look . . . good. Good enough to . . . eat. Yum yum!

john bain said...

That does look good. I just had a look in my fridge for leftovers. I very soft tomato!

Jackie said...

Oh yes I have done this but not lately. I don't cook much when Walter's away.

Your soup looks and sounds yummy!! I'll take a bowl if you'll just cyber me some over!!:-)

Ann said...

I've done this in casserole form but never soup. It sure does look good

Sharkbytes said...

Hi DG- This time I just let the BBQ sauce and some water be the stock.

Chuck- sometimes it's just edible and economical. This time it's good.

John- that would be a start, but I think it needs something more...

Jackie- Just zap it right off the page!

Ann- I never thought of doing a casserole.

Unknown said...

I did that for lunch today Joan, and added a can of cream of leek and potato soup along with some rocket leaves right at the end. I used up half a leek, a carrot, potato and onion and made some stock with chicken oxo. It was delicious and warming with some tiger loaf bread and lashings of (naughty) butter.