Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Thursday, September 5, 2013

Riven- Samples

 
I'm having a VERY good time playing Riven whenever I have some time. We got finished early at work today, hee hee, so I've been having fun this evening. I still haven't gotten as far as I was previously, but I'm making all new notes, because I was "stuck" before, so I'm missing something.

Here are just some screen shots as a sampler of what it's like.

First are some of the animals seen on the beach of the village island. These are called "Sunners."

Sunners in Riven

For transportation between the islands you can call and ride these cute little trams.

tram in Riven

Here is a view of the ocean and what I call the power plant island from the edge of the gold dome.

Riven

And finally for tonight, here is the inside of a puzzle room that is quite ingeniously tricky. Fortunately, I had figured it out before and made good notes on my previous games.

Riven

Riven was released in 1997 and still holds up as one of the best puzzle games, with graphics that were way ahead of its time, and complex puzzles throughout.

Marie and I started it together at her house, and it would be more fun to play it with her, but we'd have to be in the same space. Two heads are much better than one at some of these riddles.

Having fun. Probably wasting serious time.

if you like this blog, click the +1   or

Like This!


8 comments:

Rick (Ratty) said...

I always wanted to play Riven, but I never ended up getting it. There are a couple of Windows 8 app games that are similar. Maybe I'll give one of those a try.

Duxbury Ramblers said...

I do enjoy puzzles but find that I neglect everything else :)

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

I'm not a gamer, but the graphics are slick and, I admit, do tempt. And you are right … those graphics were ahead of the curve!

Secondary Roads said...

I made it all the way through Myst. It took quite a while, but it was a lot of fun and, for me, a great stress relief.

I also played a lot of Doom, but eventually got tired of dying.

Ann said...

If it's fun then it isn't wasting time :)

Sharkbytes said...

Ratty and Chuck- you can get Riven for Windows XP, 7,8 at gog.com (I warned you)

Carol- me too, me too

Rose- So realistic- you really feel like you are in the world

Ann- well, one really has to do something in life besides have fun (I suppose)

Lin said...

I used to play Roller coaster tycoon for hours on end. I LOVED that game until now you can't get it for the new computers. Well, I don't think so anyway.

I'm glad that you can play a game that you love again!

RNSANE said...

I have never even heard of the game. With all the word games I'm trying to play at the same time, I don't think I should attempt this. Sounds like an "oldie but goodie", though.