Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Saturday, March 1, 2014

Skiing at Crystal Valley

 
Today was the monthly outing for the Spirit of the Woods Chapter of the NCTA. We went skiing at a nice area called Crystal Valley in the Manistee National Forest. My adventure buddy, Ellen, is heavily involved with the group of volunteers that built and maintains this five-loop system.

"Come on," she says. "What are you waiting for?" Skiing is her first love.

skiing

There were just four of us. Dave, Loren, and I have been to Crystal Valley before, but Ellen knows the trails best.

skiing

This was my view for most of the two hours we were out. I'm not that great a skier, and still don't have all my stamina back after the cold that has kicked my butt. Didn't realize how bad until today. I simply could not keep up. They had to wait for me a lot.

skiing

But they were nice about it, and we had a great time. And, Ellen invited us all to her house for tacos and talking afterwards. We spent the entire afternoon yakking about biking and kayaking and skiing and stuff! Great day.

skiing

Just FYI, in case you were wondering... no Flower Show trip this year. I'll have to get a fix of greenery some other way. (But not here, it's SNOWING AGAIN)

See Spirit of the Woods at Big M 2014
if you like this blog, click the +1   or

Like This!


8 comments:

The Furry Gnome said...

Glad you got out for a ski. I'm always at the back of the line too! We also missed a garden show today, because of the snow.

Rick (Ratty) said...

Skiing has always looked fun to me. I've never had much of a chance to try it. Maybe one of these winters when we get a little bit of snow around here I'll give it a try.

rainfield61 said...

It is a great day.

And that is all we ask for.

Sandy said...

I too am near the back of the line, but we always end up together at the end. I've been mostly snowshoeing this year but just yesterday thought I should pull out my x-country skis next year. So much snow. But we have to embrace it. Just started following your blog.

Ann said...

Looks like it was a nice day out there. I'm sure even though you've been down with that cold you could probably still outdo me :)

Lin said...

Well, if it's gonna keep coming down, you might as well find a way to enjoy it!

Sorry about the flower show. :( bummer.

RNSANE said...

Looks like fun...it's always nice to have a day with friends. I can't even snow shoe so but I used to ski in the Austrian Alps when I was about five-years-old....no skiing since then!

Anonymous said...

Looks like a fun day! I've never been skiing but I think I'd enjoy cross country.