Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Sunday, March 2, 2014

Three-Needle Bind Off and Progress Report

 
It's a good thing Loretta knows me well. Even so, she's probably wondering if she'll ever get this sweater.

Today, I learned something new, called a three-needle bind off. It makes really nice seams where you want to join knitting where both pieces have stitches, like at shoulders. Here's the front side.

knitting sweater

And it makes a ridge on the underside that helps stabilize the shoulder seam.

knitting sweater

Turns out, it's really easy. You just put right sides together holding both needles with stitches on them in your left hand, and take a third needle in your right hand. Knit through the first stitch on each left needle, together. You've now have one stitch on the right needle. Do the same thing with the second two stitches on the left, putting a second stitch on the right needle. Then pull the first stitch over the second, just like a regular bind off, and continue. If you care, and don't get this description, there are videos all over the web.

So here's where I was after joining the shoulders.

knitting sweater

But I had a bigger goal for the day. I finished the neck- rolled neckline, no ribbing, and started one sleeve, which is knit downward from the shoulder.

knitting sweater

See Project Progress
if you like this blog, click the +1   or

Like This!


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Neat seams! It is already beautiful and will be well worth the wait. I am quite sure it will still be winter when you finish...do love that color!

Secondary Roads said...

It looks great. The details are beyond my comprehension. (I'd rather build another computer.)

Ann said...

I have no clue what you just said but the sweater is looking good. I never could get the hang of knitting

Lin said...

Ooooh, it's so pretty! Nice work!

RNSANE said...

I have never had such talent...I do only needlework such as crewel and cross stitch. Didn't even quite get Harper's stocking finished for her first Christmas but she didn't know. I have it in a box and will finish it in a month or so. Heck, it's only a month till her first birthday...I want to do something special for that grand occasion!

Anonymous said...

I don't think I'll ever learn to knit.