Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Sunday, October 11, 2015

Orange, Same or Different?

 
Here's another fungus puzzle. I think I have it figured out. Maybe.

Remember this one from yesterday?

Gelationous Pored Polypore

As odd as this name sounds, I'm pretty sure this is Gelatinous Pored Polypore, Caloporus dichrous. That name means two-colored, with beautiful pores. I'm not sure about the beautiful pores. I didn't look at them closely. Although it grows in a flat scale, it does grow the white caps you can see in this closer view.

Gelationous Pored Polypore

However. And there's almost always a "however" with fungus. When young, it can look very much like another type of fungus, Orange Poria, Poria spissa.

Orange Poria

I did not look at the pores or spores, or whether it was on a deciduous or coniferous log. Although, looking at just the pictures I would say this one is on deciduous wood, and the first one on a conifer, maybe red pine. The book says they both are more likely on deciduous, and this one rarely on conifers.

Orange Poria

So, is this second one the Poria, or a young GPP? I'm voting for the Poria, but believe me, I could be wrong. At any rate, they are both very interesting.

See Nestcap Fungus
if you like this blog, click the +1   or

Like This!


2 comments:

Ann said...

Whatever type they are they have pretty colors :)

Lin said...

How did you learn all of this stuff, Shark?! You never cease to amaze me.