Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Rail Tales

 
Walked to town today to do some errands and came home by way of the railroad tracks. A train came while I was walking. That always makes me happy.

approaching train

Before the train came by, however, I was looking at the hopper cars parked along a siding. Freight cars can come from anywhere, and these are marked Winchester and Western. Well, I think I'm a railroad buff, but this one was new to me.

freight cars

I had to look it up.

Winchester and Western hopper car

Now I feel pretty dumb. It's a short line that runs in Virginia, West Virginia and New Jersey. But it's been in operation since 1916. You'd think I would have heard of it. Probably I have, but the info didn't stick. My railroad fan friend, Irene, will be appalled.

Winchester and Western logo

I took a close picture of the Marquette Rail engine as it went by. See the number? This is the same engine I saw the first time I spotted the new paint scheme after it was acquired by the Genesee and Wyoming line. They now own over 120 short lines!

Marquette Rail engine

The co-op grain elevator used to be serviced by the railroad. The loading chute still hangs in place, unused and forlorn.

grain loading chute

Now, everything comes and goes by truck. I don't know why. The trains run every day.

grain elevator loading truck


See New Owner, New Paint Scheme
if you like this blog, click the +1   or

Like This!


No comments: