Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Thursday, June 29, 2017

Bird Bookends

 
This has been the view out one of the windows to the deck quite regularly for the past two weeks. It's a pair of phoebes that have a nest somewhere out in the aspen grove.

phoebes

They come and sit on the empty birdfeeders like bookends around the unused bird bath. It's like a bad joke.

I've tried to get better pictures, but they are so nervous they won't come near the deck at all if I sit outside, and they don't sit still anywhere longer than a few seconds. This is the best I got, through a window. You can almost sense the wariness.

phoebe

Still, I'm glad to have their company.

I added a rock to the center of the birdbath in case it was the smooth edges the birds don't like. Nothing doing. No feathered creature has been near it. I wonder if the ceramic birds on the rim scare them off.

birdbath

Look who's in one of the dead aspen branches. A cedar waxwing! They don't usually show up until the mulberries are ripe.

cedar waxwing

See Phoebe
See Two Birdbaths, No Birds
if you like this blog, click the +1   or

Like This!


2 comments:

Secondary Roads said...

Phoebe is very shy. I love to watch her work.

Ann Thompson said...

I've never seen a phoebe. Its a cute little thing