Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Monday, August 21, 2017

The Non-Event of the Day

 
I was really torn between two options today. I like science and astronomical events, but I hate jumping on the bandwagon with 30 million other people.

As it turned out, today's partial solar eclipse at my house was no great shakes.

cloudy eclipse

It didn't even get very dark.

cloudy eclipse

I have to say that the partial eclipse in 1994 was a much bigger deal to me. For one thing, there just wasn't very much hype. This was before the internet was a huge thing. I was at grad school, and I knew there was going to be a partial eclipse, but I didn't pay a lot of attention because I expected it to be pretty much like today turned out to be.

1994 eclipse line
Image from NASA, public domain

However, it just so happened that I didn't have classes that day and I took myself for a walk in the woods. That turned out to be momentarily spooky, because I did forget the eclipse was going to happen. It started to get quite dark under the trees- like late dusk. All the rustling of animals ceased and the birds stopped singing. It took me a minute to remember there was going to be a partial eclipse. Just for a bit I think I felt like ancient peoples must have felt before eclipses could be predicted. There happened to be a bench near where I was. I sat down and contemplated the workings of the solar system and the Creator.

That was much more of an event for me than today. Maybe I'll still be around for the next one on April 8, 2024. Actually, that would be sort of numerically significant. I was supposed to be born on April 8, didn't show up till the 24th. And I'll be 24 years (and those extra days) shy of 100.

My big news of the day is that I finished another chapter in Dead Mule Swamp Druggist.


See Blood Moon
if you like this blog, click the +1   or

Like This!

5 comments:

Rick (Ratty) said...

I had a fun day watching the eclipse today. I even got pictures. But I liked the one in 1994 more because it was better looking and more complete from where I was in Detroit. I wasn't going to bother with this one either, but I remembered that the viewing glasses were so inexpensive, and it gave me a good reason to visit a good place I like.

Mike said...

It was cloudy here too. I did see a bit of it, but it was more hype than anything.

Secondary Roads said...

I tried pin-hole camera experiments with mediocre results. Then the thick clouds rolled in and the show was cancelled.

Sharkbytes said...

Ratty- I'm glad you had fun with it. That's the important thing, anyway.

Mike- yeah- probably worth the hype nearer the line of complete eclipse, but pretty boring here

Chuck- I decided it wasn't worth the bother here, and don't really regret not making another mess. The colanders and other ways to make multiple crescents didn't really grab me. And the sun was clouded almost 100% of the time here anyway.

The Oceanside Animals said...

hello sharkbytes its dennis the vizsla dog hay that eeklips wuz no grayt shayks heer eether in fakt i slept thru it!!! dada went owtside a fyoo times with his pinhole kamra but aparently it wuz bayrly a half eeklipse heer so their wuz not mutch to see!!! ok bye