Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Friday, January 12, 2018

The East South River Road Neighborhood

 
I love maps. I love hand-drawn rustic maps. Of course, I've mapped Forest County as it has evolved in the Dead Mule Swamp mysteries.

The Dubois Files young readers' mysteries will be set in the same location but about 50 years earlier. So tonight I fooled around with the map to see what will fit decently on a page of the books. I think this is about right, and gets in all the children's homes, and the elementary school, and the canning factory where Mr. Dubois works. It needs a few tweaks, but overall, I'm happy.

Anastasia Raven's house is #1- the old Mosher house. Cora Dubois Baker Caulfield grew up in #3, a house which plays an important role in Paddy Plays in Dead Mule Swamp, although it hasn't been lived in for decades. All of the buildings at Cherry Pit Junction have fallen into ruin, since the canning factory (#5) blew up (this fact is revealed in The Hollow Tree at Dead Mule Swamp). The Szep (tenant) house, #2, is also long gone.

I've made the map so you can right-click and choose View Image to see it larger.



In other news: Worked all day. Did this map. We have no water- and of course discovered that after dark. I couldn't even get the well pit open. We'll deal with it tomorrow.

See The Secret Cellar
if you like this blog, click the +1   or

Like This!

2 comments:

The Furry Gnome said...

Imaginary maps, what fun!

Ann said...

Good map. Too bad about the water. Hope it's an easy fix